It was both a comfort and a great fear knowing what to expect when I got back on campus; after all, both good and evil experiences imprinted my heart and scarred my memory-- making the initial decision to return very difficult. I agonized. Once decided (last Spring), my feelings still opposed each other: Happy to now have friendships and connections with the staff and students, Pride to "know the ropes" and Relief to bypass the learning curve all counteracted Dread of planning weekly worships, Boredom from sitting hours at a time, and Terror of what high school students could say and do next to make one so easily doubt oneself (or one's self-worth) and question one's sanity-- or the future of mankind...
But just a couple weeks ago, little Caldwell, ID-- though a brown and dehydrated landscape in mid-August-- reproduced a warm and welcoming old school to me. School grounds looked surprisingly green and enticing (thank you, sprinklers). I parked my car where the curb said "21" in white paint, and I used my handful of keys on the purple carabiner to open the front dorm doors. Quiet halls. Freshly cleaned carpet. That sentimental smell. My room was still marked by colorful "Dean Berger" nametags from 2013-2014. Inside was left untouched all summer and half empty, but I was so glad to see my things. New sheets were stacked on the mattress.
Very soon, Gem State's people were upon me-- embracing me, encouraging me further that I made the right choice to return, they were so glad. So was I. Previously cautious introductions became enthusiastic greetings attached to hugs!
Staff Meetings. Cleaning. Paperwork. Orientation. First week of school.
We have a new important, talented dean team of four. Certainly, I miss Mike and Allie desperately... habits and routines will have to change. But Jaci and Cody are amazing, fun, and strong contributors; I am SO glad they are here! Fearless Fitting, our leader, is a rock and a lifesaver-- it is my gigantic privilege to work for and learn from him again.
To be Familiar, what a wonderful thing... I pray Thank You, but mostly Please, for this upcoming year!
No comments:
Post a Comment