Today
was a fun way to come back from Thanksgiving Break!
Allie
picked me up from the airport at noon and we talked a-mile-a-minute all the way
back to the Academy, not only about ourselves and our breaks, but about our
kids in the dorm—which is funny and surprising. Optimistically, it means we are
fully engaged and immersed in the Gem State life! Sometimes, in our spare time,
we find ourselves discussing the school’s future and dreaming big for what we
wish could take place imminently on this campus. Sometimes our post-11pm
texting conversations are passionate rants or excited hopes for what we think
should happen next in the dorm and in the academic world, for the students AND
for the faculty.
Every
time I’ve returned to campus, either from weekend time off, a homeleave, or a
holiday break, I have felt a greater portion of connection and familiarity leap
in my heart as I step through the dorm doors again and greet all those who live
here with me.
Today,
lots of my girls ran up and gave me huge hugs and happy “glad you’re back!”
greetings in the cafeteria. I observed their new shoes, new jeans, and new
haircuts, complimenting accordingly. Some of the boys greeted me, too, joking
playfully, asking when I got here, and “how was your break, Dean Berger?”
We stood in the lunch line for delicious burritos and talked
about the movies we watched and how late we slept in last week.
I
feel refreshed from my full week at home; my patience and unconditional love
levels have been restored (for the time being). I took over Dean Duty for Mike
in the afternoon so he could spend some last time with his visiting girlfriend
and family. It only took an hour for the craft supplies to come out—always a
tell-tale sign which dean is on duty (the office desk
gets smothered).
One senior girl—who is particularly artsy-craftsy like myself—joined me to make cards and various paper projects for several hours. Other students, during this afternoon time (as usual), made their way in and out of the office and lobby, chattering away, asking the routine permissions, and taking a gander at our creations.
A
freshman boy, who fancies himself a tragic artist and emotional writer, came in
to read me a poem he just wrote. Lovely. Didn't understand it, but it was
articulate and deep.
Certainly
one of the sweetest gestures I've experienced here: the boys’ RA came in to
borrow the kitchenette key for “a mug,” and came back in 5 minutes with a hot
cup of DECAF chai tea for ME! He commented shyly, “I heard that your coffee
this afternoon turned out to be caffeinated and you didn’t get to drink it… so
I made this for you.” What a sweetie! By this time, the kids know what happens
when Dean Berger has even a smidgen of caffeine. !!! Though seemingly
hilarious, ridiculous, or unbelievable, I am serious. Close friends and family
already know all too well… I really can’t handle my caffeine. J
Before
worship and study hall were upon us, three girls came bursting in to make me an
offer: Would I like to pitch in and buy something in their group order from
Gilly Hicks, the Abercrombie & Fitch branch, that was offering great
clearance prices and free shipping for any order over $50—ending today.
[According to Wikipedia, the company just announced on November 5 that, “all 28
Gilly Hicks stores worldwide will be closed by the end of Q1 2014.” I have
never ordered anything from them in my life.] Who could surpass such an offer?
;) They were so excited, and only needed $7.49 to make the dream a reality. We
giggled and browsed online, and ultimately all picked out clearance swimsuits
that will arrive sometime by December 12. A very happy package, to be sure.
Even if we can’t wear them for another 6 months.
The
Christmas tree is up and glowing in our lobby, thanks to Dean Fitting and fam:
all sparkly, gold/blue/brown themed like the furniture, with twinkling lights
and festive ribbon wound around. We flipped on the electric fireplace, and most
the dorm residents hung out downstairs together, doing homework, and not.
It's getting to be freeeeezing outside. My room, and Allie's too, is about 2 degrees!!! We still have giant AC vents in our windows which allow a constant draft of air through. Not so bad in early fall, but as we fast approach the frigid winter, and nights get down below freezing, I wake up in the fetal position, even under blanket layers, and my phone is an ice brick from sitting on the window ledge all night. The men promised they would work to remove those vents ASAP. Tomorrow!! Br!
It's getting to be freeeeezing outside. My room, and Allie's too, is about 2 degrees!!! We still have giant AC vents in our windows which allow a constant draft of air through. Not so bad in early fall, but as we fast approach the frigid winter, and nights get down below freezing, I wake up in the fetal position, even under blanket layers, and my phone is an ice brick from sitting on the window ledge all night. The men promised they would work to remove those vents ASAP. Tomorrow!! Br!
These
weeks before Christmas will probably fly by so fast! I will again be very
thankful for a break to see my family and friends by December 20th,
but for now I pray that Jesus enriches us here, helping me, especially, live in
the present—without worry or concern for what future months may hold; without
trying too hard to make transparent plans for the next step in my life; and
without meanwhile losing faith and feeling daunted by the “long” remainder of
this strange and exciting school year.




No comments:
Post a Comment