Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My Friend, Wednesday

Once a week, I have the immense pleasure of greeting the world before anyone else in Caldwell even has such a twinkling in their eye or an inkling of the sort. At least, that's what it feels like every Wednesday for me, when I get up at 6, as the a.m. Dean On Duty. "Who needs to get up this early?!" I certainly never want to. But just before forcing myself out of my warm covers, I close my eyes and say a pleading prayer, asking for energy and awareness for the day in order to reach the kids who need me, and in order to make it through the first half of Wednesday with some semblance of positivity.

9 a.m. today looks like:
The first couple hours aren't so bad, because the adrenaline of responsibility weighs on me and wakes me up. I have to take down the alarm, unlock doors, and open the cafeteria for the breakfast worker. The peaceful sleep of the other deans depends on me! If I don't wake up on time, there will be trouble, mayhem, discord in the dormitory! :) No wonder I usually wake up, panicked, several times in the middle of the night, anticipating my morning duties-- but it's only 2:30am. 4:30am. 5:30am. Maybe by the end of May I'll finally be resting-at-ease every Tuesday night!

At 7:50am, my cell phone erupts into the James Bond Spy Theme to remind me to ring the bells for first period. I like to think the kids and I both enjoy the sense of "epic" that this provides for our day. :) [For study hall alarms, I play the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme! I will never hear these songs the same again.]  8:00am gets a double-bell, and most the dormies should be on their way out by now.

Kids take their trash bags with them out the door-- preparing for flawless room checks, no doubt.

It's starting to appear light outside for the first time. Finally. Although, this week we've had thick fog and beautiful hoar frost engulfing everything, so it's hard to tell.

Inside, the Christmas tree is glowing, and so is the fireplace. I have thoroughly enjoyed Christmas season in the dorm! Don't let my pre-break, morning complaining confuse you-- I live a good life, I like it here. Being a dean is largely favorable.

By 9:15am, everyone is in classes and the dorm locks until chapel and lunch time.

At this point, there have been times that I've gone back to bed until 11-something... Appealing, but not exactly "carpe diem" status. More often, I make breakfast or take a shower-- actually get ready for the day:)  Happy Wednesday!

Today's theme song: "Free Ride" by the Edgar Winter Group (or by Audio Adrenaline, like 8th-grade!)
Followed by: "Green Onions" by Booker T. & the M.G.'s
And for good measure: "Express Yourself" by Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band

Dean Morauske gets to leave for Christmas Break today!
6.5 hours driving to Portland.  Trade? :)  Safe travels, friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment